Let me briefly interrupt your regularly scheduled substantive update to announce that as of yesterday, my manuscript is back to the agent who was interested in seeing a revision. My excitement knows no bounds! Ahem.
This is the sixth and last post in my series of posts (one, two, three, four, and five) about the process I engaged in to revise my manuscript. While the process is similar to the process I used the first time , this one has worked out exceptionally well for me, and I intend to use it as a general revisions process in the future.
My process culminated in the final reads–yes, there was more than one. The first read was in Scrivener, full screen, at 800% font. In essence, the font choice only fit a sentence a page. And I combed through those sentences looking for typos, words that didn’t make sense, missing punctuation, and redundant word choices. I read it aloud to myself to make sure the sentences flowed properly. This was my “typographical read” and it took me about two days.
Some people have suggested reading your work backward so that you don’t get invested in the prose. I may do that next time, because I did at points find myself just reading along. I sometimes had to go back and read a chapter again.
After I compiled my manuscript into a word processor, I checked the entire document for spelling. My word processor helpfully pointed out several places where I had missed corrections on my first final read. Doubled words are the bane of my existence. My brain apparently just refuses to recognize them. I then gave it a final, quick read to make sure that everything was in place and Scrivener hadn’t left out a chapter or included a scene I had cut.
And that was it. The entire two-plus-month-long process that overshadowed my life and ate all of my “free” time was complete.