Start the Dance Party

Image, from HRC's Bollywood Dance Party benefit, of a bunch of dancing people in front of rainbow lights.
But only if it’s a rainbow dance party.

It’s done!  Surviving the Road, my third novel manuscript, clocks in at a hefty 88,415 words.

I’m very excited….

  • to finish a third manuscript
  • that was so hard for me to write the ending to
  • after the first novel in the series was rejected post R&R and I hated these characters for reasons that aren’t their fault
  • only 7 days after I told myself I would finish it
  • despite still feeling a bit off from having the flu

Let the dance party commence!  Let the celebratory meowchi be ordered!  Most importantly… let the rest of the day be a video game day, because tomorrow I have to apply for the Lambda Literary Writers’ Retreat and look into Patreon and start researching other agents to submit Surviving the Plague to.

Progress Update

In good news, I’ve passed the 50k mark for NaNoWriMo. In bad news, my day by day update will have to come tomorrow because a storm is giving us power troubles and it’s too difficult to do the daily breakdown by phone.

 

PS: The power outage friend the power supply on my desktop PC so the daily word counts update will be rolled into next Friday’s update.  Stay tuned!

Progress Update

A thunderstorm-related power outage made it difficult to post last night (but made for a lovely reading might). I’m presently working on short stories, updating them and researching markets. I intend to submit them around again later tomorrow, or possibly Monday.

Meanwhile, the Flight novel is back in my imagination, and I intend to start revising that soon. That should take me through NaNoWriMo, when I’ll resume work on the Touchdown novel. Big plans!

Progress Update–Microrevisions DONE

Microrevisions are done!  They’re done they’re done they’re done THEY’RE DONE!  The most tedious part of revisions?  Done.

And I have to say, this manuscript is looking really good.  The original manuscript was 79k words.  After doing major revisions, it was up to 83k words.  The final result?  70,687 words.  This prose is so tight, it’s bolted to the floor.

I have only three things left to do before I resubmit to the agent:

1) Typographical revision.  Fixing typographical errors.  I swear, self, I will cut you if you try to start revising during the typo check.  TYPO FIXING ONLY.

2) Compilation.  I need to compile my Scrivener document into a format the agent wants to read.

3) Final read.  Making sure Scrivener didn’t bork anything.  Last-minute check for typos I missed during the typo check.

The combined total of these three steps should only take the rest of the weekend.  Which means that by Monday, barring unforeseen circumstances, I should have this manuscript back to the agent.  And then more waiting.

But for now, I’m so excited!

Brief Combined Update

I missed my Friday update and now my Monday update is going to be combined with the update part. Why, you ask?

A combination of depression and grinding on this manuscript to make up for it.

I’m done with micro-revisions through chapter 23 (of 34). But in the process, I failed to pace myself last weekend, and entirely blew out my brain. I spent several days during the week with my brain going NO NO NO every time I even walked by Scrivener, and forcing it just made me want to go back to bed semi-permanently.

This is why it’s important to know how your mind works when you struggle with something like depression. I deliberately made sure I told the agent longer than I thought I would need so that I could wiggle room if it came to it. After a 2-day enforced break from writing to recharge, I’m again ready to roll. But I’m behind on my own personal deadline by about a week, so off I go!

Progress Update

I’m starting to get my first betas in (including my second-opinion sensitivity beta) and I’ve asked people to get back to me by the 17th, so hopefully I’ll have enough good feedback to go on.

So far, it seems like the changes have largely the suggested improvements from the agent, at least as I understood them. Two people have noted one of the “fixes” as creating more issues, so I’m going to have to take a hard look at that one and either remove it or re-evaluate the presentation.

While I’m waiting on the rest of the betas to get in, I’ve started the process of tedious micro-revisions on the beginning (which has received mostly positive feedback, so I’m sure it won’t require any more major changes). I’m half way through chapter 4 with the micro-revisions, and seem to be able to only do about a chapter a day. This could be problematic as I get closer to my self-set deadline. Especially since this coming weekend is a mess of family commitments.

Fortunately, I have an all-day write-in with CCWA coming up next Saturday, and a few vacation days at the end of July where I should be able to get major work done.

One of my goals is to get back under 80k words. The end of the major revisions saw me at almost 83k words, and ideally I’d like to get back under 79k solely by tuning my prose. I guess we’ll see!